Leisure and Tourism
1) BRIARE’S MARKET
The market in Briare is held on Friday mornings on the fairground behind Saint-Etienne’s church at about 500m from the harbour.
The old fashionned markets are also held on the 20th of May, the 17th of June, the 15th of July, the 12th of August and the 9th of September in the morning at Place de la République.
2) BRIARE’S MUSEUMS
Musée de la Mosaïque et des Emaux (Mosaic and Enamel Museum)
Created in 1994, this museum located in the old residence of Jean-Félix Bapterosses is an open window on French political, economical and cultural history of the 19th and 20th centuries. It showcases rare collections of pearls, buttons, as well as, mosaics from the 19th century and after. Each summer, the museum hosts contemporary artists in a reserved area where they can exhibit their pieces of artwork.
- Address : 1, boulevard Loreau 45250 BRIARE
- Phone number : 02 38 31 20 51
- Email : musee.mosaique @ wanadoo.fr
- Website : www.emauxdebriare.com
LE MUSÉE DES DEUX MARINES ET DU PONT CANAL
Maison des Deux Marines de Briare is not only a seamen heritage conservatory but a discovery and documentation centre devoted to water places in the Gien area as well. The intense life led on the river when “they carried boats” may leave you stunned.
- Address : 58, boulevard Buyser 45250 BRIARE
- Phone number : 02 38 31 28 27
- Website : Musée des Deux Marines
3) TROUSSE-BARRIÈRE CASTLE
In 1508, a smallholding known as Trousse-Baurrière was built and became first Trousse-Boussière, then Trousse-Boissière and finally Trousse-Barrière. The castle’s was later built between 1885 and 1890.
In 1974, the city of Briare became owner of the place and undertook major renovations to open an exhibition centre in 1982. Since then, workshops host different artists every year.
- Address : Château de Trousse-Barrière
- Phone Number : 02 38 31 27 39
4) TROUSSE-BOIS DEPARTMENTAL PARK
Phone number: 02 38 31 27 39 Trousse-Bois Departmental Park has been the property of the Conseil Regional (Regional Council) since 1981 and the first natural site developed by the Departement in 1998 which is open to the public.
Improvements have been made in order to welcome visitors in better conditions and to favour the exploration of this exceptional 140-acre territory.
Educative posters scattered along the paths will teach you about the particularly rich and varied flora.
The wetlands at the north end of the pond can be seen from a floating dock over 200 m long.
A 1,300 m fitness trail completed with posted advice contains eleven exercises to keep or get fit.
Finally, you can take a 16-kilometre walk in Trousse-Bois; a 4 hour walk between the Loire, the departmental park, Briare Canal and the commune of Briare.
5) LEISURE ACTIVITIES IN BRIARE
- Mobile cinema
- Hunting, fishing
- Petanque, tennis, cycling
- Electric boats, canoes
- L’Escabeau Drama workshop
- Mosaic workshops
- Les Reflets workshop (painting, sculpting, pottery/modelling)
6) SWIMMING POOL
Prés Gris waterpark
Slides, lap pool, paddling pool, hot tub, steam bath, sauna
- Phone number. 02.38.31.26.87
- Address : Rue des Prés Gris 45250 BRIARE
Swimming pool opening hours :
- Monday : 11.30 AM – 1 PM / 4.30 PM – 7 PM
- Tuesday : 4.30 PM – 7 PM
- Wednesday : 2 PM – 6 PM
- Thursday : 11.30 AM – 1 PM / 4.30 PM – 7 PM
- Friday : 5 PM – 6 PM
- Saturday : 3 PM – 6 PM
- Sunday and holiday : 10 AM – 1 PM
7) GETAWAYS AND TOURIST SITES IN BRIARE
- Canal sailing passing through the famous water bridge “Pont-Canal”
- Tourist train rides along the canals and the river Loire
- Walks and hiking, cycling or off-road biking trails
- Tours: small bridges on the canals, locks and the mosaic tour
- La Loire à vélo – A unique cycling route. Loire à Vélo is an immense 800-kilometre cycle tourism route, a véloroute like no other in France : www.loireavelo.fr
8 ) NATURAL PARKS IN BRIARE
- Town squares
- Play and picnic areas
- Prés gris water park
- Baraban garden
- Les Vignes garden
BRIARE’S TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRE
- 1 place Charles de Gaulle – 45250 BRIARE
- Phone number : 02 38 31 24 51